Friday, August 27, 2010

Simple Past Tense

"We spent our time in the beach yesterday."
(+) S + v-2 + O + adverb of time
(-) S + did + not + v-1 + O + adverb of time
(?) Did + S + v-1 + O + adverb of time
Example:
I bought a newspaper yesterday
She didn’t come here last night
Did you come here last night?

Usage
Indicates an activity or situation began and ended at particular time in the past.
Example:
She went with me last night.
John didn’t bring a book last week.
Did you visit me two days ago?

If a sentence contains when, and has simple past in both clauses, the action in the when clause happens first.
Example:
(1st) When I heard strange voice, (2st) I got up to investigate.
She arrived when I watched TV last night. (watched TV happen first)


Frequently used adverb
Yesterday, last…, … ago, when …

Note:
All subject use ‘did’.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Nice reader always leave a comment.